Beautiful

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Improve Your Relationships With Your Words


I published an article on Searchwarp about watching your words and thinking about what you say each day. The article is below.

Are you having problems with your relationships? Are you having problems with your spouse? What about your children? Maybe you are having problems with a coworker. We all have relationships and we all have ups and downs. If you would like to improve your relationships think about the words you say and how you say them.

My husband and I were talking the other day and without even realizing it I had snapped at him twice. This is a habit I had fallen into. I did not even realize it until that day. My husband asked me a question today and I did not snap but I did answer in a condescending way. I could tell I hurt him. I decided I needed to change the way I speak to my husband and others. Below are some things to think about. If you implement them and if I implement them they will change our relationships for the better.

Listen to the words you say during the day. Make a mental note of all the times you speak in a loud voice, a whining voice, a sharp voice or in a hurtful voice.

Decide to work at changing how you talk to others.

Before you speak, make a conscious effort to think about what you are going to say.

Think about how much this person may be hurt by what you say.

Think of a way to say something in such a way as to help the other person.

Remind yourself of how much this person means to you.

If you forget and say something you shouldn’t, forgive yourself and apologize to the other person.

Keep trying until this becomes a habit.

This is a simple way to improve any relationship. And it can be so rewarding. I intend to work on this and I hope you do to.

Karen Dobson





No comments: