Beautiful

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

New Year's Bible Verse



This new year I want to really get into the Bible more.  I keep starting and stopping over and over again.  So this year I thought it might help if I blog about my Bible reading efforts. I believe that most Christians have this same problem.  Especially those that have a busy lifestyle.  Of course, my lifestyle is less busy than most people.  I just seem to fritter away much of my time. 

The verse I am studying right now is

Philippians3:13-1413Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

The first part of this verse shows me how my life is right now.  I have not apprehended.  I have not understood everything God is telling me to do.  Life seems complicated and messy.  There are times when God shows me he still loves me.  Then there are times I wonder if he cares about me.  But the truth is that he does care about me whether I can feel it or not.  It is a fact.  I must accept this and trust that it is true. 

The next part says that I should forget the things of the past.  I should not dwell on all of my mistakes and all the hurts.  The hardest part of this verse is forgetting.  Forget the pain I have caused others and all the times I have failed.  I think so much on the failures that I forget that I actually did some things right.  In fact, I did quite a few things right.

I am to press forward towards the goal or the prize that God has for me.  Look forward.  What is the prize that God has for me?  If I obey him and do the hard thing that he is asking me to do--what will my prize be?  First and foremost it would be pleasing to God.  He would be pleased that I loved him enough to obey and just do it.  If I walk through my fear and trust God to take care of things--what would happen?  I would increase my faith in him.  A relationship might be restored.  A bad habit might be broken.  Who knows what good things God has for each one of us. 

But there are so many things on the to do list that have to be done.  Someone has to do them and it is relegated to you.  Pick one verse that speaks to you.  Write it on a card or in a notebook.  Memorize it. Think about it when you are driving or washing dishes or showering.  Get it stuck in your mind.

A prayer for all of us:
Dear Faithful Father,

Thank you for your Word that shows us how to live.  Give us the strength to do the hard things we need to do.  Whether it is apologizing, forgiving someone, or taking on a new duty.  Whatever it is for each of us show us the way.  Help us to tap into your power and knowledge and love for us.  In Jesus Name,  Amen.









No comments: